Healing after surgery takes time. Your muscles, tendons, and skin are sore and the body must heal. During this time, it’s essential to keep the area clean and dry, eat healthy foods, and get enough rest. For better after-surgery improvement, Post-operative massage will typically help; it is gentle and slow, as the goal is not to traumatize the healing tissue. As the body begins to heal, the therapist can incorporate more active movements and targeted work on specific areas. Learn more about post-op massage.
Is it safe to Receive Surgery After Post-Op?
As any medical professional will tell you, post-operative care is essential to a successful surgery. This includes everything from taking your prescribed medications to attending all of your follow-up appointments. One common question that patients have is whether or not it is safe to receive other surgeries after post-op. The answer to this question depends on several factors. Including; the type of surgery you had and the overall state of your health. Your doctor can evaluate your case and let you know if there are any risks associated with having another surgery.
What type of Massage is Best After Post-Op?
After any surgery, allowing your body time to heal is essential. This means getting plenty of rest and giving your incisions time to close. However, you can also help your body to heal by getting a massage. Here is the best type of massage after post-op:
- Swedish massages are a good option for general relaxation and can help increase circulation and reduce inflammation. It’s not advised with any open wounds.
- Deep tissue massages are another option that can help to reduce inflammation and relieve pain. However, therapists take great care during a deep tissue massage because sometimes it may cause bruising.
- Reflexology is a massage that focuses on specific pressure points in the hands and feet. It can relieve pain in particular areas of the body.
- The best type of post-op massage will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Talk to your doctor or surgeon before scheduling a massage to ensure it is safe for you.
What are the Benefits of Receiving a Massage After Surgery?
There are many benefits to post-op surgery, including:
- Improve the function of the affected area
- Reduce pain and swelling
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Promote relaxation
- Increase circulation
- Reduce scar tissue
- Improve drainage of the lymphatic system
- Release endorphins
Are there Any Risks Associated With Massage After Surgery?
There are several risks associated with Post-Op Massage:
- Infection is always a risk after surgery, and massage can increase the risk of infection by introducing bacteria to the wound site.
- Bleeding can also be a problem after surgery, and massage may cause additional bleeding by forcing blood into the wound site.
- Bruising is another potential issue, as massage can cause additional bruising around the surgical site.
Where to Find Better Massage After surgery services
At SKP Massage, we focus on providing the best post-op massages to our patients. Our skilled therapists are trained in various techniques to help you heal and feel your best. SKP Massage also offers multiple other services, such as; cupping, acupuncture, and trigger point therapy. SKP Massage is a fully licensed and insured company. Contact us today at 567-246-8063 or visit us at skpmassage.com to schedule an appointment. You can also check us out on Facebook!
We look forward to helping you on your journey to recovery!